WorldWide Bushcraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Condor Bushlore Knife

4 posters

Go down

Knife Condor Bushlore Knife

Post by Ady 24th November 2013, 03:47

I ordered mine from Hennie, and it arrived the following day 

When opening it, I found that the edge even though razor sharp still had grind marks in it, and it wasn't a polished edge, so after a few hours with a 10k stone, it had a mirror edge and scalpel sharp.

They are 1095 carbon steel, so its a soft carbon steel, so it will need sharpening a little more often.

But for the cost you cant complain, they are full tang, 4mm thick and a really good knife for the cost, they are far better once you have done your own thing with them, like polishing the edge and adding more oil to the handle, 

Great knife for the cost, and you cant go wrong with one, 

Last edited by Ady on 9th December 2013, 12:25; edited 1 time in total
Ady
Ady

Back to top Go down

Knife Re: Condor Bushlore Knife

Post by bilko 29th November 2013, 06:22

Looks like we'll have to meet up Ady and compare the knives,mine as before and yours as a now.
Cheers Neil.
bilko
bilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Ady 29th November 2013, 21:48

Yeh, anytime Neil, esp as your not that far away too
Ady
Ady

Back to top Go down

Post by Ady 9th December 2013, 09:48

Ok, here is my before and after after my tweaking, (still struggling to get some of the grind marks out though)

Before and after shots:
Attachments
Condor Bushlore Knife Attachment
september.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(494 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Condor Bushlore Knife Attachment
December.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(471 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Ady
Ady

Back to top Go down

Post by tedmears 10th December 2013, 04:13

Hi Ady
I can remember when you first got the condor I thought you was going to grind away the blade because you was sharpening it that much LOL.The magic finish of the secret ingredient really brings the grain out and a darker look to.GREAT JOB MY FRIEND. cheers
tedmears
tedmears

Back to top Go down

Post by bilko 10th December 2013, 06:21

Well hopefully should be doing another unboxing video this week. Just got a new sheath for my bushlore from John Wellings.
bilko
bilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Ady 10th December 2013, 14:54

should be good to see the fit ect, and how much better it is than the original, saying that the sheath that comes with the condor is well made and surprisingly thick leather
Ady
Ady

Back to top Go down

Knife condore bushlore MKII

Post by Toten VT 20th December 2013, 04:27

Hi Ady, i too purchased the Condor bushlore from heine's, mainly due to the price point and the fact it had a wooden handle in the classic bushcraft knife style. The MKII having a thinner blade than the MK1 and a smaller recasso area.
Regretably for me its one of my knife collection thats relegated to being a spare rather than a day to day user. The Hollow ground edge is fine for slicing but when doing things like feather sticking its problem is that the blade at just over 30mm from spine to cutting edge makes it awkward to finely control, compared with the likes of a Mora its a bit like trying to work with a boat paddle, too much top leverage with the cutting edge too far away from the centre line for my personal tastes. Battoning through the ends of small lumps of firewood is fine as the extra depth aids strength for that. The sheath is quite good for what you would expect, heavy brown 4mm stiff leather that grips the handle very well and rides high on the belt for easy access and less snagging.
I've sanded off the dull grey bead blast finish in preference for a satin polished look and added a rough area ( thumb rest) of approx 25mm to the spine to give a bite for a firesteel, the standard spine has smoothed off corners that wont spark.
Toten VT
Toten VT
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ady 21st December 2013, 03:16

I think with all the polishing with the stones that I have, the profile of the grind has probably changed to a scandi grind now, that's probably why it seemed to take forever to get all the marks out of the bevel,
The stones that I used, were 800, 1500, 3k and 10k, I left the finish on it, but I have been tempted to remove it and go for a full polish on the blade, but that will probably be done when the current coating has worn off, or becomes terrible looking.
Ady
Ady

Back to top Go down

Post by bilko 21st December 2013, 07:29

Sheath is now on YouTube.
bilko
bilko

Back to top Go down

Post by tedmears 22nd December 2013, 05:55

Hi Bilko
seen the video and he has done a lovely job of the sheath.
tedmears
tedmears

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down